We all love hair extensions. The volume they give, the versatility to our look and the change they bring in our personality are enough for that extra boost in confidence.
As gorgeous as the extensions are and no matter how beautiful they make you feel, taking extensions off can be a bit of a struggle. If not removed properly, even the best hair extensions might end up damaging our natural hair. This is something nobody wants. Following this guide, you will be able to remove your hair extensions safely and efficiently.
- Make two ponytails if possible, one with your natural hair and the other with the extensions.
- Now, carefully snip the end of the thread the extension is sewn in with. Keep tracing the thread with your fingers and be very vigilant while cutting the hair as we don’t want to snip off any natural hair.
- If you are not sure you will be able to do this, get a friend or a professional to help with the removal.
- The next step is unraveling the thread that remains on the scalp. Hold your hair in one hand so no breaking or pulling is experienced while you tug the thread out.
- Lightly undo the remaining thread. There are also several products available in the market to help dissolve or loosen up the thread if it seems impossible to do manually.
- Keep repeating until all the threads have been unraveled from your hair and removed.
- Comb out your hair to detangle and brush out any remnants of the thread from your hair.
Glued or taped extensions:
- Where it’s glued-in or tape in hair extensions, divide your hair into two or smaller sections. This makes it easier to remove the extensions.
- Apply any hair oil to the ends of the extension, where they are glued on and let the oil sit for around 15 to 20 minutes. Oil will help loosen up and break the glue or tape adhesive, making it convenient to remove. Any oils like coconut oil, baby oil, almond oil or even olive oil can be used.
- Carefully remove the extension hair without tugging them too hard or fast.
- Afterwards, rinse the oil off your hair properly.
- Keep lathering and rinsing hair with shampoo until all the glue and oil are removed.
- Brush out the hair gently to get rid of the residue completely and apply a leave-in conditioner as your extensions get air dried.
- Clip-in extensions are the easiest to remove among all the hair extensions.
- Section your hair into three parts.
- Start getting your hair away from the first section of extension nearest to the scalp.
- Gently start removing one clip at a time. Keep your natural hair away to avoid any tugging or breaking.
- Keep hair sectioned so you can track the part you already removed extensions from and it also helps to remove the clips without getting tangled.
- If any clip fails to remove due to tangles, apply a leave-in conditioner to loosen the hair around it and then remove the clip. Alternatively, adhesive solvent should help.
- Brush out your hair afterwards to detangle your natural hair.
You can use these tips to easily remove your hair extensions without stressing or damaging your hair. If you feel uncomfortable or are unable to remove the extensions, it is always better to go to a professional or a salon for help.
Don’t forget to tag us at @Superhairpieces and #Superhairpieces on your social media channels to get a shoutout! And make sure to like us on Facebook, follow on Instagram and subscribe to our YouTube channel!